Sunday, May 18, 2008

The rest of the story..............................

Mike co-authored some research at Mayo and submitted it to a conference in Honolulu. We were thrilled when it was accepted! We farmed the kids out (Ryan & Lindsay took Quinn for 7 nights! Bless you! Our Delta flight had a lay-over in SLC where we tossed Max & Mae to their grandparents) and flew to Oahu to find out what the spirit of Aloha was all about. It was a great week.

My favorite part of Hawaii was my hotel. Serious! We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. It was so beautiful and big and expensive. I loved it!

Our last day in Hawaii we toured a nature preserve close by the University of Hawaii. The scenery was amazing. Downtown Honolulu was not the flowering paradise that I had imagined, so a hike in these botanical gardens was the perfect way to end our trip.

Mike presented his poster at a 3 hour session on Sunday. There were 700 posters on display. Mike went to part of the conference everyday, so it ended up being some work, some play. What??? Not all play??!! :)



Mike packed up Mayo's posters after the session and we walked the 4 blocks to our Hawaiian Village. We made that walk several times during our trip.

Nice weather. It could have been a little warmer, but I shouldn't complain about a few clouds and 80 degrees! We drove the whole island on the one day Mike had off. We visited the temple and the visitor's center. We ate a white shrimp truck and savored our shaved ice treats (my fav had a scoop of ice cream in the bottom and sweetened condensed milk drizzled over the shaved ice...MMmmmm). We stopped at a small surfing town and walked the streets, imagining what it would be like to live there year round. We snorkeled at Hanuma Bay at 7am (Mike's teeth chattered for hours). We walked along Waikiki Beach at sunset. I loved Aloha Stadium where I bought 10 pairs of my favorite Hawaii sandals and a few strands of Kukoi nut necklaces (I should have bought tons more necklaces! I hate it when you get home from vacation and you think, dang it, why didn't I buy more of that??!?!). I slept in until 9am. I didn't push a double stroller for 5 whole days. I ate famous do-nuts and fresh fruit every morning while tropical birds flew overhead. It was...paradise.

A BIG thank you to all those who helped to make this trip a reality for me and Mike! We will love you forever!!!!!

10 comments:

Anna and Dell said...

yea!!! I'm so glad you had a fun time. It sounds fabulous and relaxing, which frankly is just what mom's need. I'm much less into pure adventure and adrenaline travels since Henry was born. Sleeping in and not having to cook just about make a trip for me.

Unknown said...

SO FUN!! I'm sure you relished the break--you deserve it!! I knew you would love Hilton Hawaiian Village---the hotel is what I always thought hawaii was. :)

Elizabeth said...

What a much deserved break! I've stayed at that same hotel...it is great! I am glad you had so much fun!

S&F Seminario said...

Oh wow. YES. You and Hawaii would make fast friends, of course I should have known. How fun. Ferando and I were discussing you yesterday after Church. (We don't always discuss you guys but we were probably feeling really spiritual at the time so of course you just popped into our minds, right?) We decided that you are the people who deserve a trip to Hawaii the most! So I'm glad you got it! That hotel is THE coolest one you could have stayed at, by the way. Great choice! There is no end to what your husband's smarts can provide for you!

Jen said...

YES! YOU deserved a fun trip! I am glad you had a great time. I am very jealous, but hope to get to Hawaii some day. Those pictures were awesome. I can't believe you didn't buy more either. You are the bracelet queen! Wish you could go to the Oakcrest reunion too... Surprise me :) haha. Love ya!

Emily said...

Wow! That trip sounded amazing! I wish you would have taken me in your suitcase. You are such a lucky girl and I am so happy for you two. Isn't it nice to have a good break every now and then. It makes you so much more ready to go back to the everyday stuff.

Kathryn said...

Yeah for baby-free vacations! And congrats to your smarty-pants husband. I'm so glad you had such a good time.

5k1er said...

What exactly does a 'white shrimp truck' taste like? Sounds adventurous.

Molly said...

A white shrimp truck tastes like nothing you've ever had, let me assure you. GARLICKY. Thanks for pointing out my typing errors, Marty. 'Preciate that. :)

Melissa said...

Looks so nice and fun to get away from the kids for a week and sleep!! Mark and I will be there in November. Can't wait! Your pictures and making me more excited.