Friday, February 6, 2009

Bait

This morning, I wanted to make spiced applesauce bread and tapioca. Tasty combo, right? BUT, the kids were up and movin' and everyone knows that if Mama is trying to do something, suddenly the kids need your total and undivided attention!
So, I needed a plan (creamy, warm, smooth tapioca, I'm coming!). I call my plan, "laying the bait". It's worked several times in the past, and I'm happy to say that it caught my children again this a.m. I find a bunch of books that the kids haven't seen in a few days/weeks and place them in key places where they are sure to attract attention. Then I tell the kids to go check out what's on the couch and the ottoman. They scamper to the front room and are instantly seized by what they see. I ask you, what person could go into a room peppered with fantastic, exciting, colorful books and not stop to just take one little peek?!
35 minutes later, I was eating warm bread in the kitchen alone. Ahhh. What a plan. :)

2 comments:

Hilary said...

How creative are you?!!!

Kirsten said...

Our kids must be related - all are easily distracted by a good book. Hey, I must be related too. I love to be distracted by a good book!!