Saturday, February 21, 2009

Valentine's, Obama-esque

Valentine's Day Food
in Verse


Our hearts may be weighed down
with guilt,
Clouded by
nutritional facts
and scientific medical advice.
But when we ask ourselves

"Can I have another piece of white chocolate raspberry cheesecake"

The spirit within us responds,

"Yes, I can"


When our children cry out
because their stomachs yearn
for more than
broccoli and whole-grain pasta
and in a final cry of desperation they sob

"Can't I have more red Jello?"

We comfort them and say

"Yes, you can"

And when we find
chocolate-covered bacon
for sale at the farmer's market,
and cynicism and doubt begin to
tell us that we can't do this,

Without any hesitation we can
lay down a few dollars and say
These three simple words


"Yes, we can"

"Yes, we can"

"Yes, we can"


7 comments:

S&F Seminario said...

OH MIKE! This is one of the best posts I've ever read. I'm laughing so much and loving it. Good work. You could have been a speech writer.

And 30-year-old-lady,
Thank you for the lovely phone call. I wish my phone hadn't been dead. I love you. I will call soon.

Hilary said...

Mike....I love it...so much...it's just that simple.

5k1er said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
5k1er said...

"Yes I Can!" Words to live by... besides what do doctors know anyway? Is it really proven that chocolate covered bacon is really "bad" for you? I dare you show me proof... My money says there's nothing out there - so eat on Mighty Mae! Yes you can!

Sarah said...

Right on! Looks delicious! And happy be-lated birthday to you, Molly!

Sarah said...

love, love love it!!! thanks for the laughs!!

Andi said...

i love this