Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Kiwi

Tonight at dinner we ate a kiwi. I can't remember if I've ever shared a kiwi with my kids before. I think of the kiwi as a rather exotic fruit, one that should be appreciated and savored. Two-year-olds and four-year-olds do not appreciate. They first snarf & then drool. So tonight, I held the small fruit up to the children and asked them what color they thought it was on the inside. I got no response, so I prompted them by saying, "It's a nice brown color on the outside, what color will it be on the inside?". Quinn said, "White.". Max nodded and said, "White.". I turned to Mae who goes, "Hmmmm, pink.". I smiled, cut the kiwi in half and Quinn yelled, "GREEN!". The other two were equally impressed at the emerald color. I passed out slices to everyone and they popped them in their mouths (Quinn reluctantly, as he had said just seconds before that he was sure he didn't like it....). After a few chews Max said he liked it. A few more chews and Quinn calls out, "I like kiweed, Ma!". Kiweed. I hope that one sticks. :)

7 comments:

Anna and Dell said...

adorable. And I love how you made it such a fun experience for your kids. I have a lot to learn from you. Thanks for chatting the other day. You made my day.

Connie Whitesides said...

"Kiweed!" sounds like we must have some at the cabin this year. Love it!

S&F Seminario said...

Magician Molly strikes again. I love that your kids call you Ma. You are living the pioneer dream. How I miss you. I wish we could play Santa and Reindeer with you. I would do a GREAT elf.

Jean Leavitt said...

Molly, I love your posts. You are just so funny, in writing and in person. :) I'm glad we are friends. My favorite was the "snarf and drool" line, so true! I still don't think my girls have eaten a kiwi. Way to expose them to the finer things in life. :)

Elizabeth said...

You've inspired me to go buy some kiweed! Yum! I can't believe the twins are two...when did life start moving so fast?! They are adorable. I love the story of Quinn putting on his short sleeve shirt, too cute!

Unknown said...

Kiweed....honestly could your children get any more adorable?! Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day today!

Gabriel and Amber Spencer said...

Hey guys, we went link hopping and happened upon your fun blog! It's great to catch up with you and all your successes. Darling kids.
bluedoorwindow.blogspot.com